Here are 2 kinds of alternative facts and what to do about it.
There’s been lots of hype about the new administration’s use of what they call “alternative facts”. I want to clarify for anyone who might be confused about them.
- There are alternative facts.
- There are 2 kinds of alternative facts.
The first kind of alternative fact is the kind that has a bit of truth in it but has been laced with misinformation by the fact-giver in order to achieve a personal end. This end could be:
- Less embarrassment
- Manipulation of the populace to behave in a manner that gets the fact-giver what he wants
A great illustration of this from children’s literature is C.S. Lewis’ The Last Battle. You might remember that in this last book from The Chronicles of Narnia, leaders used alternative facts to conquer Narnia without battle- by enslaving the people one at a time.
They did this by:
- taking famous Narnian sayings and twisting them just a little. The gullible population who had not studied Narnian history nor learned by heart the actual sayings were quickly lured into slavery for these leaders profit-motivated ends.
- lying about Aslan’s nature and desires. Because the Narnians had become fat, happy and lazy- caught up in their own good lives, they had forgotten to know Aslan, to know his character and his will. Thus when evil-doers lied to them about what Aslan wanted, they followed blindly along.
What to do about it?
Know for yourself, by prayer and study of God’s word, God’s character and will and what God says about:
- Greed (Check out Ephesians 4)
- Arrogance (Check out Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate. biblegateway.com)
- Poor treatment of the poor, disadvantaged, stranger, disabled (Here are 2 of many Scriptures: But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God. Leviticus 19:34 BibleHub.com and Matthew 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. Biblegateway.com)
Learn discernment. Discernment comes by prayer and holding up behavior and things spoken to Christ’s own words. See these verses:
I John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. biblegateway.com
A good tree does not bring forth corrupt fruit. For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
A good man out of the treasure of his heart brings forth that which is good. An evil man out of the treasure of his heart brings forth that which is evil. For out of the abundance of his heart a man speaks.
A man who speaks alternative facts is a man with an alternative reality. One that will bring forth out of the abundance of greed, arrogance and use of people and resources to his own gain. His alternative facts are meant to deceive and enslave.
Discern. Know God. Don’t be like the lazy Narnians in The Last Battle.
So what about the OTHER kind of alternative fact?
The other alternative facts are God’s facts. Allow me to explain:
We live in a 3 dimensional world. We are often encouraged to believe only things we can see, hear and touch.
But God’s reality is bigger than that. He has not limited himself nor his angels to a 3 dimensional world.
Our world is a mess and being led by messy men. It is like the days of old when the prophet Elisha and his servant had pissed off the king of the Syria. The king sent his army to arrest the prophet.
Elisha’s servant gets up in the morning and sees the house surrounded by an army. In a panic, he wakens Elisha. Elisha calmly prays: Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. II Kings 6 biblegateway.com
The Syrian army was there. God’s army was there, too. And actually, God’s army was MORE REAL than the tangible army. God’s army was there. Ready to KICK BUTT.
But then God gave Elisha His words and Elisha, obedient to God, spoke them: Smite this people, I pray thee, with blindness. And God smote them with blindness according to the word of Elisha.
Elisha had made himself available to God and to the way that God works so he was able to “see” things that are not limited to the 3D world.
Elisha had made himself available to God and to the way that God works so he was able to speak things that are not limited to the 3D world.
THUS were the evil intentions of the king thwarted.
So listen to me please.
- Do not be as the gullible who do not know God, his words or his ways. Pray. Know Him through Scripture so that you are not lured away from the truth of God.
- Do not fear like those who have no hope nor help. We serve the God of the universe who has His limitless power and legions of angels to do His bidding.
- Do not run amok trying to accomplish God’s will for Him. Seek Him first. He’ll tell you what and how. And He WILL tell you what and how, and you WILL need to obey.
- Read my post on how not to be a loser.
Thus, there are 2 kinds of alternative facts:
- One is laced with lies and will lead to destruction.
- One is more real than our earthly reality, full of God’s love, power and life. It leads to love, power and life. I recommend choosing this kind of alternative fact.